Canada: 50 Ways to Leave – Tax Considerations For Departing Canadian Individuals

Last Updated: March 5 2019
Article by Elan Harper and Marsha Laine Dungog

Those of you of a certain age may remember the old Paul Simon standby "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover". Sadly, in Canada, the current rendition of this classic seems to be "50 Ways to Leave Your Country". Lately, it seems like almost as soon as we meet new people and get introduced with the words "international tax advisor" or "US tax lawyer," the questions about tax and business motivated emigration start – whether at the coffee shop down the street, at the gym, or lunch with a friend. The combination of high Canadian taxes and falling competitiveness, contrasted against the recent tax rate cuts in the US, are driving one recurring question. How do I get out? Can I leave my family here in Canada, come home on the weekends, and still be outside the Canadian tax web? If I plan to go to the US, do I need to have a Green Card in the US to not pay tax in Canada anymore?

Let's be clear. Most of these people are hard-working Canadians who own their own business, or in many cases, multiple businesses. They, and their businesses, have paid Canadian taxes all their lives, and they love this country, but enough is enough. And now, they are considering their options. So as the song goes, if you would like to make a new plan, just listen to me.

Just get yourself free

Residency is central to the taxation of Canadians. Regardless of whether you are a Canadian citizen or not, the Canadian Income Tax Act (the "Act") limits Canada's taxation of non-residents to income earned from employment in Canada, income from carrying on business in Canada, and income from the disposition of Canadian taxable property.1 So if you cease to be resident in Canada, in most cases, this will mean that you will no longer have to pay Canadian taxes or file a Canadian tax return. In contrast, as long as you are a Canadian resident, Canada will tax you on your worldwide income, and you will be subject to various filing and reporting requirements.

Importantly, while there may be planning which can be done in advance of your departure to minimize the financial impact, leaving Canada is rarely without cost. Under the Act, your departure from Canada will trigger a taxable deemed disposition of most of what you own, at its fair market value. A significant exception to the application of this rule is Canadian real estate that is held directly by the departing individual. Canadian real estate doesn't get taxed on departure because an actual disposition of Canadian real estate will still be taxable in Canada even if you are non-resident at the time. In some cases, you may be able to give the Canada Revenue Agency ("CRA") security against the taxes created on your departure, rather than an outright payment of the tax. Providing the CRA with security against taxes owing as a result of the deemed disposition which occurs on departure can be particularly attractive if there is a possibility that you may return to Canada.

The US, in contrast, taxes based on citizenship as well as on residency. If you are a US citizen, legal permanent resident (a "green card holder") or a resident alien, the US will tax you on the totality of your worldwide income and assets regardless of whether you live in the US or abroad. If you are neither of the above categories, you are considered a "non-resident alien" and thus only subject to tax by the US on specific types of US-source income, gains or activities and not subject to worldwide tax by the US unless you meet one of two criteria making you a resident alien. You are a "resident alien" of the US for tax purposes if you either hold a green card or if you pass the substantial presence test for the calendar year. At a high level, you will meet the substantial presence test if you are present in the US for at least 31 days in the current calendar year, and an aggregate of 183 days during the current and two preceding years, counting all the days of physical presence in the current year, one-third of the days in the first preceding year, and one-sixth of the days in the second preceding year.

So why does it matter so much if you are subject to worldwide tax as a resident alien of the US? The Canadian Income Tax Act has some high-level rules which speak to residency but is subordinate to all of the bilateral income tax treaties to which Canada is a party. If you ordinarily live in Canada than you are likely Canadian resident for tax purposes under the Act. If you spend 183 days or more a year here, than you may be deemed to be resident in Canada throughout a taxation year under the Act, but the fact that you did not spend 183 days or more in Canada doesn't make you non-resident. Importantly, if you are a non-resident of Canada, and a resident of another country for the relevant tax treaty (more about this later), you will be a non-resident of Canada for the Act – regardless of the Canadian 183 day deemed residency rule. Income tax treaties generally include tiebreaker rules which set out more specific rules for the determination of which country you will be considered a resident of for tax purposes. But these rules will only apply if you are covered by the Treaty, and for the Treaty to apply – you would need to be subject to comprehensive worldwide taxation in the other country.

Treaty Residency Tests

The first requirement is that the Treaty must apply – in other words, you must be a resident in two countries, and subject to worldwide tax in the US under one of the enumerated reasons. For an individual, the enumerated reasons include being liable to worldwide tax in a foreign country because of your domicile, residence, or citizenship. As discussed above, provided you are a resident alien in the US by either holding a green card or under the substantial presence test, then this requirement should be satisfied.

Assuming that you have spent enough time in the US to be a resident alien, then the Canada – US Treaty (the "Treaty") should apply. The Treaty has a series of tests which are used sequentially to determine residency. If you tie break to one country or the other under the first test, then you wouldn't go on to the second test, etc. Realistically, however, we would generally seek to ensure that under all of the tests in the Treaty you should be found to reside in the country in which you want to be resident.

Assuming the Treaty applies, then we would next consider the tiebreaker rules in the Treaty. Paraphrasing liberally, the rules are as follow:

  1. You will reside where you have a permanent home available to you. So if you want to be a resident in the US and not in Canada, then ensure you have a long term lease or have purchased a home of some description in the US that is continuously available for your use. Further, ensure that you have either sold or rented out your home in Canada under a long term agreement.
  2. If you have a permanent home available in both countries or neither country, you will be a resident of the country where you have the closest personal and economic relations. These relations would include family and social, occupation, political, cultural or other activities, your place of business, etc. Note: it is not necessarily the number of ties that you have with one country or another, but also the depth of the ties. For example, if you have a spouse and or dependent children in one country, often that is where you would be found to reside.
  3. If the country of your centre of vital interests cannot be determined, you will be a resident of the state in which you have a habitual abode. The concept of "habitual abode" includes frequency, duration and regularity of stays of a quality which are more than just transient. It is where you usually live.
  4. If you have a habitual abode in both countries, or neither, then you will reside in the Country you are a citizen of; and
  5. (e) if you are a citizen of both countries or neither of them, the competent authorities of the countries shall settle the question by mutual agreement.

As an aside, generally, you do not want to end up in competent authority as this process can be long, difficult to navigate and expensive.

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions that we often hear include:

  1. Do I need to have a Green Card to be found a resident of the US rather than Canada for tax purposes?

    This misconception is widely held. Immigration and tax are only fleetingly related, and your immigration status in the US will have little to do with your tax status, provided your status allows you to legally make a home in that country long enough to pass the substantial presence test discussed above.

  2. Can I be a resident for tax purposes in more than one country at a time?

    Yes. Because the domestic rules for each country don't necessarily line up, you may find that you are considered resident in two countries at the same time. Provided there is an income tax treaty between the countries which applies to you, then the tiebreaker rules in the treaty will generally break you back to one country or another. In cases where this does not happen, then you would end up relying on the use of foreign tax credits to reduce the potential incidence of double taxation. The moral of the story – know where you want to be resident and seek advice to ensure that you accomplish this.

  3. Can I choose to reside nowhere for tax purposes?

    As a practical matter, this is likely impossible. If you are a citizen of a country, like Canada (that taxes based on residence rather than citizenship), while it sounds like this theoretically should be possible, Canada is going to struggle to consider you a non-resident of Canada to the extent you are not resident somewhere else, and will likely argue that you are still Canadian resident. If you don't have a center of vital interest somewhere else than the CRA would find that your center of vital interest is likely still in Canada.

  4. My kids are in school here in Canada, and I don't want to move them. I want to live in the US Monday through Friday and then come home to my family on weekends. Isn't that sufficient to make me non-resident of Canada?

    Generally, no. While there are some circumstances where you could leave your family behind and still be found to have departed Canada, this rarely happens. The most likely scenario where this might apply would be within the case of an ongoing divorce or legal separation. So while the song may say that "you don't need to discuss much," if you are planning a change of residency, likely you and your family have some talking to do to get them on board with a move.

  5. If I move, will my business also have to move? And won't this will be prohibitively expensive?

    It is true that businesses can also change their residence, and this can be very expensive from a tax perspective, but most frequently we would advise that your Canadian business would carry on mostly without you, and you would move and incorporate a new business that functions mostly independently of your Canadian business. There are lots of tricks and traps which may apply in situations like this, so definitely a time to seek advice.

  6. The CRA has a form online – Form NR73 Determination of Residence Status – if I fill this out won't they tell me if I have become a non-resident of Canada?

    Yes, the CRA will give you an answer, but this tool is a blunt instrument and can result in the wrong results, so we certainly wouldn't recommend voluntarily filling this out, and especially wouldn't recommend filling it out without professional advice.

Like the song says – the answer is easy if you take it logically...

So there you have it: a very high-level description of residency for tax purposes, but the actual determination of residence is involved, as is the determination as to how a change in residence will affect your tax picture. And for that, you need more advice than I can give you during a short meeting at the coffee shop down the street, between sets at the gym, or lunch. It's complicated with trade-offs, but with proper advice, the benefits may be worth it. Like "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" also states:


You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free


So if you want to "slip out the back" from Canada's tax net "and get yourself free," make sure you take it logically.


1 Taxable Canadian property includes real estate in Canada, as well as Canadian resource and timber property held directly or indirectly.

Moodys Gartner Tax Law is only about tax. It is not an add-on service, it is our singular focus. Our Canadian and US lawyers and Chartered Accountants work together to develop effective tax strategies that get results, for individuals and corporate clients with interests in Canada, the US or both. Our strengths lie in Canadian and US cross-border tax advisory services, estateplanning, and tax litigation/dispute resolution. We identify areas of risk and opportunity, and create plans that yield the right balance of protection, optimization and compliance for each of our clients' special circumstances.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

Elan Harper
Marsha Laine Dungog
Events from this Firm
6 Jun 2019, Seminar, Calgary, Canada

Complimentary seminar on the main topics of interest concerning the renunciation of your US citizenship. Learn how your decision to (or not to) renounce will impact you and your family today and in the future.

7 Jun 2019, Seminar, Kelowna, Canada

Complimentary seminar on the main topics of interest concerning the renunciation of your US citizenship. Learn how your decision to (or not to) renounce will impact you and your family today and in the future.

22 Jun 2019, Seminar, Edmonton, Canada

On Dec. 22, 2017, President Trump signed into law the biggest US tax reform bill in 31 years, changing the lives of Americans at home and abroad.

Similar Articles
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
In association with
Practice Guides
by Mondaq Advice Centres
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Related Topics
Similar Articles
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Rotfleisch & Samulovitch P.C.
Related Articles
Related Video
Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Mondaq Free Registration
Gain access to Mondaq global archive of over 375,000 articles covering 200 countries with a personalised News Alert and automatic login on this device.
Mondaq News Alert (some suggested topics and region)
Select Topics
Registration (please scroll down to set your data preferences)

Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including your content preferences, for three primary purposes (full details of Mondaq’s use of your personal data can be found in our Privacy and Cookies Notice):

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting to show content ("Content") relevant to your interests.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, news alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our content providers ("Contributors") who contribute Content for free for your use.

Mondaq hopes that our registered users will support us in maintaining our free to view business model by consenting to our use of your personal data as described below.

Mondaq has a "free to view" business model. Our services are paid for by Contributors in exchange for Mondaq providing them with access to information about who accesses their content. Once personal data is transferred to our Contributors they become a data controller of this personal data. They use it to measure the response that their articles are receiving, as a form of market research. They may also use it to provide Mondaq users with information about their products and services.

Details of each Contributor to which your personal data will be transferred is clearly stated within the Content that you access. For full details of how this Contributor will use your personal data, you should review the Contributor’s own Privacy Notice.

Please indicate your preference below:

Yes, I am happy to support Mondaq in maintaining its free to view business model by agreeing to allow Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors whose Content I access
No, I do not want Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors

Also please let us know whether you are happy to receive communications promoting products and services offered by Mondaq:

Yes, I am happy to received promotional communications from Mondaq
No, please do not send me promotional communications from Mondaq
Terms & Conditions (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd (Mondaq). Mondaq grants you a non-exclusive, revocable licence to access the Website and associated services, such as the Mondaq News Alerts (Services), subject to and in consideration of your compliance with the following terms and conditions of use (Terms). Your use of the Website and/or Services constitutes your agreement to the Terms. Mondaq may terminate your use of the Website and Services if you are in breach of these Terms or if Mondaq decides to terminate the licence granted hereunder for any reason whatsoever.

Use of

To Use you must be: eighteen (18) years old or over; legally capable of entering into binding contracts; and not in any way prohibited by the applicable law to enter into these Terms in the jurisdiction which you are currently located.

You may use the Website as an unregistered user, however, you are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the Content or to receive the Services.

You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or with the prior written consent of Mondaq. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information from the Content. Nor shall you extract information about users or Contributors in order to offer them any services or products.

In your use of the Website and/or Services you shall: comply with all applicable laws, regulations, directives and legislations which apply to your Use of the Website and/or Services in whatever country you are physically located including without limitation any and all consumer law, export control laws and regulations; provide to us true, correct and accurate information and promptly inform us in the event that any information that you have provided to us changes or becomes inaccurate; notify Mondaq immediately of any circumstances where you have reason to believe that any Intellectual Property Rights or any other rights of any third party may have been infringed; co-operate with reasonable security or other checks or requests for information made by Mondaq from time to time; and at all times be fully liable for the breach of any of these Terms by a third party using your login details to access the Website and/or Services

however, you shall not: do anything likely to impair, interfere with or damage or cause harm or distress to any persons, or the network; do anything that will infringe any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights of Mondaq or any third party; or use the Website, Services and/or Content otherwise than in accordance with these Terms; use any trade marks or service marks of Mondaq or the Contributors, or do anything which may be seen to take unfair advantage of the reputation and goodwill of Mondaq or the Contributors, or the Website, Services and/or Content.

Mondaq reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take any action that it deems necessary and appropriate in the event it considers that there is a breach or threatened breach of the Terms.

Mondaq’s Rights and Obligations

Unless otherwise expressly set out to the contrary, nothing in these Terms shall serve to transfer from Mondaq to you, any Intellectual Property Rights owned by and/or licensed to Mondaq and all rights, title and interest in and to such Intellectual Property Rights will remain exclusively with Mondaq and/or its licensors.

Mondaq shall use its reasonable endeavours to make the Website and Services available to you at all times, but we cannot guarantee an uninterrupted and fault free service.

Mondaq reserves the right to make changes to the services and/or the Website or part thereof, from time to time, and we may add, remove, modify and/or vary any elements of features and functionalities of the Website or the services.

Mondaq also reserves the right from time to time to monitor your Use of the Website and/or services.


The Content is general information only. It is not intended to constitute legal advice or seek to be the complete and comprehensive statement of the law, nor is it intended to address your specific requirements or provide advice on which reliance should be placed. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the Content for any purpose. All Content provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers hereby exclude and disclaim all representations, warranties or guarantees with regard to the Content, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Mondaq expressly excludes all representations, warranties, obligations, and liabilities arising out of or in connection with all Content. In no event shall Mondaq and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Content or performance of Mondaq’s Services.


Mondaq may alter or amend these Terms by amending them on the Website. By continuing to Use the Services and/or the Website after such amendment, you will be deemed to have accepted any amendment to these Terms.

These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these Terms. If you live outside the United Kingdom, English law shall apply only to the extent that English law shall not deprive you of any legal protection accorded in accordance with the law of the place where you are habitually resident ("Local Law"). In the event English law deprives you of any legal protection which is accorded to you under Local Law, then these terms shall be governed by Local Law and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts where you are habitually resident.

You may print and keep a copy of these Terms, which form the entire agreement between you and Mondaq and supersede any other communications or advertising in respect of the Service and/or the Website.

No delay in exercising or non-exercise by you and/or Mondaq of any of its rights under or in connection with these Terms shall operate as a waiver or release of each of your or Mondaq’s right. Rather, any such waiver or release must be specifically granted in writing signed by the party granting it.

If any part of these Terms is held unenforceable, that part shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to give effect to the intent of the parties, and the Terms shall continue in full force and effect.

Mondaq shall not incur any liability to you on account of any loss or damage resulting from any delay or failure to perform all or any part of these Terms if such delay or failure is caused, in whole or in part, by events, occurrences, or causes beyond the control of Mondaq. Such events, occurrences or causes will include, without limitation, acts of God, strikes, lockouts, server and network failure, riots, acts of war, earthquakes, fire and explosions.

By clicking Register you state you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions