Canada: Part-Year Residence

Last Updated: November 8 2018
Article by Kevin Persaud

Introduction – The Significance of Tax Residence

Your status as a tax resident determines the extent to which Canada may tax your income. Canada taxes its residents on their worldwide income. Canada taxes a non-resident's Canadian-sourced income. In particular, Canada taxes a non-resident's income from: (1) employment in Canada; (2) carrying on a business in Canada; or (3) disposing of a taxable Canadian property.

Notably, tax residence is unrelated to residence for immigration purposes. You can be a Canadian tax resident even if you aren't a Canadian permanent resident or citizen. Similarly, you can be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident yet fail to be a Canadian tax resident.

This article discusses the possibility of being a part-year resident in Canada and the Canadian tax implications flowing from part-year residence.

For more information on determining your status as a tax resident, see our article "Tax Residence in Canada – Are Significant Residential Ties Less Significant for Immigrants to Canada than for Emigrants from Canada?"

For information on the tax residence of a corporation, see our article "Determining the Residence of a Corporation for Tax Purpose"

When Do You Become a "Resident in Canada" for Income-Tax Purposes?

An individual—i.e., a natural person—can become a tax resident in one of two ways. You can be a common-law resident (i.e., a factual resident), or you can be a deemed resident.

Common-Law Tax Resident (i.e., Factual Resident)

Although Canada's Income Tax Act uses the terms "resident" and "ordinarily resident," it doesn't define either one. So, Canadian courts bear the responsibility of defining residence for tax purposes. Since Canada's judiciary subscribes to the common-law system, the court definition of tax residence is often called "common-law residence." (It's also referred to as "factual residence" because the common-law analysis calls for a comprehensive exam of the individual's circumstances.)

In its landmark 1946 decision, Thomson v Minister of National Revenue, the Supreme Court of Canada defined a taxpayer's tax residence variously as: "the place where in the settled routine of his life he regularly, normally or customarily lives"; and "the degree to which a person in mind and fact settles into or maintains or centralizes his ordinary mode of living."

In other words, your particular circumstances determine whether you're a Canadian tax resident under common law. So, a court may examine any of the following factors (and then some):

  • Past and present life habits;
  • Regularity and length of visits in the jurisdiction asserting residence;
  • Ties within that jurisdiction;
  • Ties elsewhere; or
  • The permanence or purposes of a stay abroad.

Not all jurisdictional ties are given equal weight. Courts and the Canada Revenue Agency both consider some residential ties more significant when discerning whether you're a tax resident—e.g., your having a dwelling place, spouse, or dependent in the jurisdiction.

Deemed Resident: The Sojourner Rule

The sojourner rule—located in paragraph 250(1)(a) of the Income Tax Act—will deem you to have been a Canadian resident for the entire tax year if you "sojourned" in Canada for 183 days or more in that year.

You sojourn if you visit. So, unlike a common-law resident, a sojourner need not either have a "settled routine" in Canada or "customarily live" in Canada.

Your physical presence in Canada for just over half a year will thus brand you a Canadian tax resident for that entire year.

When Do You Cease to be a Canadian Tax Resident?

The rules for losing your status as a Canadian tax resident mirror those for becoming a Canadian tax resident. You can lose tax residence under the common-law test, or you can be a deemed non-resident.

Losing Residence under Common Law

Again, your particular circumstances determine whether you're a Canadian tax resident under common law. And courts will examine the above-mentioned factors (among others) when deciding whether you've sufficiently cut ties with Canada so as sever tax residence.

Interestingly, some tax jurisprudence suggests that a home, spouse, or dependent in Canada proves far less significant when determining whether a foreigner has become a Canadian tax resident than when determining whether a Canadian-born individual has severed residence upon leaving Canada. For more details, see our article "Tax Residence in Canada – Are Significant Residential Ties Less Significant for Immigrants to Canada than for Emigrants from Canada?"

Deemed Non-Residence: Subsection 250(5)

Subsection 250(5) of the Income Tax Act deems a person to be a non-resident in Canada if a Canadian tax treaty renders that person a tax resident of Canada's treaty partner.

But unlike the sojourner rule in paragraph 250(1)(a), which, if it applies, deems you to be a resident throughout the year, subsection 250(5) only deems you to be a non-resident starting from the particular time that you were a resident of another country per a tax treaty.

Canada's tax treaties typically contain an article on residence. The treaty residence article will initially defer to each country's domestic tax law. That is, the tax treaty will consider a person to be a tax resident in the country whose domestic tax laws assert jurisdiction to tax the person's worldwide income on the basis of domicile, residence, place of management, or some similar criterion. If, however, each country's domestic tax laws make this claim, the treaty sets out tie-breaker rules to identify only one country as the person's tax residence.

The deemed non-residence rule in subsection 250(5) overrides the sojourner rule. As a result, subsection 250(5) gives rise to the possibility of part-year residence.

Part-Year Residence

When a person moves into or out of Canada, subsection 250(5) offers redress from the possibility of being a tax resident and thus paying tax on worldwide income in two countries throughout the year. If it weren't for subsection 250(5), the sojourner rule would declare you a Canadian tax resident for the entire year—despite how thoroughly you severed ties to the country—so long as you departed after 183 days from the beginning of the year. Because subsection 250(5) both operates from the particular time that you qualify under a tax treaty as a resident of Canada's treaty partner and overrides the sojourner rule, it allows a person to be a part-year tax resident in Canada.

In addition to part-year residence under subsection 250(5), you may also be a part-year tax resident under common law. This is mostly relevant where the sojourner rule doesn't apply and Canada doesn't have a tax treaty with the taxpayer's country of immigration or emigration.

Part-year residence or a change in residence gives rise to various Canadian tax consequences and reporting requirements. The following sections discuss three of these consequences: (1) part-year worldwide income reporting; (2) deemed dispositions; and (3) foreign-reporting rules.

Part-Year Worldwide Income Inclusion for Part-Year Residents: Section 114

Subsection 2(1) of the Income Tax Act taxes "every person resident in Canada at any time in the year." As a result of subsection 2(1), a part-year Canadian resident is liable to Canadian tax on worldwide income throughout the entire year.

This is obviously harsh. And it discourages cross-border worker mobility.

Section 114 provides relief by allowing a part-year resident to exclude from taxable income all foreign income earned while a Canadian non-resident.

Still, section 114 only applies to a part-year resident in Canada. And if you spend 183 days or more in Canada, the sojourner rule deems you to be a Canadian resident throughout the entire year. So, if the sojourner rule applies, you're unfortunately required to report your worldwide income throughout the entire year on your Canadian tax return.

By implication, section 114 is only relevant where either:

  • the sojourner rule doesn't apply and the taxpayer is a part-year Canadian tax resident under the common law; or
  • the taxpayer is a part-year Canadian tax resident as a result of a tax treaty and subsection 250(5).

Otherwise, a part-year tax resident's Canadian tax returns may need to report worldwide income from throughout the year. (Foreign tax credits may provide relief from double taxation.)

Deemed Disposition on Change in Residence: Section 128.1

When a taxpayer changes residence, section 128.1 deems a taxpayer to have disposed of and immediately reacquired most property for fair market value. These rules may cause a taxpayer to incur Canadian tax liability for capital gains upon emigrating from Canada—in other words, a departure tax. Likewise, these rules provide a Canadian immigrant with a bump in the tax cost of non-Canadian capital property.

Foreign-Reporting Rules: Sections 233.1 to 233.6

Canadian immigrants often maintain property or business interests in their home countries. As a result, if they become tax residents in Canada, they will need to report these interests when filing Canadian tax returns.

Canada's Income Tax Act contains five basic rules requiring a Canadian resident to report either a business transaction involving a foreign party or an interest in foreign property:

  • Section 233.1 requires a Canadian resident to file a T106 if the resident entered a business transaction with a related non-resident.
  • Section 233.2 requires a Canadian resident to file a T1141 if the resident transferred or loaned property to a non-resident trust or similar entity.
  • Section 233.3 requires a Canadian resident to file a T1135 if the resident owns or has an interest in "specified foreign property."
  • Section 233.4 requires a Canadian resident to file a T1134 if the resident has a "foreign affiliate."
  • Section 233.6 requires a Canadian resident to file a T1142 if the resident is a beneficiary of—and receives a distribution from—a non-resident trust.

Notably, these reporting rules do not hinge upon tax liability. That is, these rules obligate a Canadian taxpayer to report a foreign interest regardless of whether that interest generates income that is taxable in Canada.

The Income Tax Act provides a first-year resident in Canada with some relief: section 233.6 exempts certain first-year resident individuals from the reporting requirements of sections 233.2, 233.3, 233.4, and 233.6.

A steep penalty may apply if you fail to file a required foreign-reporting form with your tax return.

For more details on these foreign-reporting rules, see our article "Canada's Foreign Transaction Reporting Rules."

Tax Tips – Obtaining Certainty with Residence Status or Relief for Unreported Foreign Transactions or Property

If you misconstrue your tax-residence status, you may erroneously under-report or over-report your Canadian taxable income. Under-reporting your taxable income may lead to monetary penalties, while over-reporting may result in excessive Canadian tax liability.

A residence-determination request is one measure for obtaining certainty when preparing your Canadian tax return. You can submit a residence-determination request to the Canada Revenue Agency using Form NR73 (Determination of Residency Status – Leaving Canada) or Form NR74 (Determination of Residency Status – Entering Canada). In response, the CRA will provide you its opinion on your status as a Canadian tax resident.

Still, the CRA's opinion is only as reliable as the details you provide. And the CRA's administrative view doesn't always correspond with Canada's tax law. As a result, your residency-determination application must not only frame the relevant facts but also bring attention to the case law favoring your position. Otherwise, the CRA agent appraising your residence-determination application might render an unfavorable decision based on CRA publications yet contrary to tax law.

Our experienced Canadian tax lawyers can provide you with advice on your status as a tax resident in Canada or prepare your residence-determination application to ensure that it contains the needed factual and legal analysis.

Furthermore, a change in your residence status may result in tax liability for a deemed capital gain or a potential penalty for failing to file a foreign-reporting information return (e.g., T1134, T1135, T106, T1141, or T1142).

These reporting requirements don't hinge upon tax liability. So, many taxpayers consider them to be unimportant. But the Income Tax Act imposes steep penalties on taxpayers who fail to file an information return per the foreign-reporting rules. For example, a simple failure to file can result in a penalty of up to $2,500 plus interest. But if the failure to file constitutes gross negligence, the maximum penalty can reach $12,000. Moreover, an additional 5% penalty may apply if a T106, T1141, or T1135 is over 24 months late. A T1135 form is due if you own specified foreign property with a cost of $100,000 or more. So, if you're over 24 months late in filing a T1135, your minimum penalty is $5,000.00 per outstanding year.

An application under the Voluntary Disclosures Program (VDP) may allow you to avoid these penalties. Contact one of our expert Canadian tax lawyers to discuss whether a voluntary disclosure is a viable option.

The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.

To print this article, all you need is to be registered on

Click to Login as an existing user or Register so you can print this article.

Similar Articles
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
In association with
Practice Guides
by Mondaq Advice Centres
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Related Topics
Similar Articles
Relevancy Powered by MondaqAI
Related Articles
Related Video
Up-coming Events Search
Font Size:
Mondaq on Twitter
Mondaq Free Registration
Gain access to Mondaq global archive of over 375,000 articles covering 200 countries with a personalised News Alert and automatic login on this device.
Mondaq News Alert (some suggested topics and region)
Select Topics
Registration (please scroll down to set your data preferences)

Mondaq Ltd requires you to register and provide information that personally identifies you, including your content preferences, for three primary purposes (full details of Mondaq’s use of your personal data can be found in our Privacy and Cookies Notice):

  • To allow you to personalize the Mondaq websites you are visiting to show content ("Content") relevant to your interests.
  • To enable features such as password reminder, news alerts, email a colleague, and linking from Mondaq (and its affiliate sites) to your website.
  • To produce demographic feedback for our content providers ("Contributors") who contribute Content for free for your use.

Mondaq hopes that our registered users will support us in maintaining our free to view business model by consenting to our use of your personal data as described below.

Mondaq has a "free to view" business model. Our services are paid for by Contributors in exchange for Mondaq providing them with access to information about who accesses their content. Once personal data is transferred to our Contributors they become a data controller of this personal data. They use it to measure the response that their articles are receiving, as a form of market research. They may also use it to provide Mondaq users with information about their products and services.

Details of each Contributor to which your personal data will be transferred is clearly stated within the Content that you access. For full details of how this Contributor will use your personal data, you should review the Contributor’s own Privacy Notice.

Please indicate your preference below:

Yes, I am happy to support Mondaq in maintaining its free to view business model by agreeing to allow Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors whose Content I access
No, I do not want Mondaq to share my personal data with Contributors

Also please let us know whether you are happy to receive communications promoting products and services offered by Mondaq:

Yes, I am happy to received promotional communications from Mondaq
No, please do not send me promotional communications from Mondaq
Terms & Conditions (the Website) is owned and managed by Mondaq Ltd (Mondaq). Mondaq grants you a non-exclusive, revocable licence to access the Website and associated services, such as the Mondaq News Alerts (Services), subject to and in consideration of your compliance with the following terms and conditions of use (Terms). Your use of the Website and/or Services constitutes your agreement to the Terms. Mondaq may terminate your use of the Website and Services if you are in breach of these Terms or if Mondaq decides to terminate the licence granted hereunder for any reason whatsoever.

Use of

To Use you must be: eighteen (18) years old or over; legally capable of entering into binding contracts; and not in any way prohibited by the applicable law to enter into these Terms in the jurisdiction which you are currently located.

You may use the Website as an unregistered user, however, you are required to register as a user if you wish to read the full text of the Content or to receive the Services.

You may not modify, publish, transmit, transfer or sell, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, link, display, or in any way exploit any of the Content, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or with the prior written consent of Mondaq. You may not use electronic or other means to extract details or information from the Content. Nor shall you extract information about users or Contributors in order to offer them any services or products.

In your use of the Website and/or Services you shall: comply with all applicable laws, regulations, directives and legislations which apply to your Use of the Website and/or Services in whatever country you are physically located including without limitation any and all consumer law, export control laws and regulations; provide to us true, correct and accurate information and promptly inform us in the event that any information that you have provided to us changes or becomes inaccurate; notify Mondaq immediately of any circumstances where you have reason to believe that any Intellectual Property Rights or any other rights of any third party may have been infringed; co-operate with reasonable security or other checks or requests for information made by Mondaq from time to time; and at all times be fully liable for the breach of any of these Terms by a third party using your login details to access the Website and/or Services

however, you shall not: do anything likely to impair, interfere with or damage or cause harm or distress to any persons, or the network; do anything that will infringe any Intellectual Property Rights or other rights of Mondaq or any third party; or use the Website, Services and/or Content otherwise than in accordance with these Terms; use any trade marks or service marks of Mondaq or the Contributors, or do anything which may be seen to take unfair advantage of the reputation and goodwill of Mondaq or the Contributors, or the Website, Services and/or Content.

Mondaq reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to take any action that it deems necessary and appropriate in the event it considers that there is a breach or threatened breach of the Terms.

Mondaq’s Rights and Obligations

Unless otherwise expressly set out to the contrary, nothing in these Terms shall serve to transfer from Mondaq to you, any Intellectual Property Rights owned by and/or licensed to Mondaq and all rights, title and interest in and to such Intellectual Property Rights will remain exclusively with Mondaq and/or its licensors.

Mondaq shall use its reasonable endeavours to make the Website and Services available to you at all times, but we cannot guarantee an uninterrupted and fault free service.

Mondaq reserves the right to make changes to the services and/or the Website or part thereof, from time to time, and we may add, remove, modify and/or vary any elements of features and functionalities of the Website or the services.

Mondaq also reserves the right from time to time to monitor your Use of the Website and/or services.


The Content is general information only. It is not intended to constitute legal advice or seek to be the complete and comprehensive statement of the law, nor is it intended to address your specific requirements or provide advice on which reliance should be placed. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers make no representations about the suitability of the information contained in the Content for any purpose. All Content provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Mondaq and/or its Contributors and other suppliers hereby exclude and disclaim all representations, warranties or guarantees with regard to the Content, including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Mondaq expressly excludes all representations, warranties, obligations, and liabilities arising out of or in connection with all Content. In no event shall Mondaq and/or its respective suppliers be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether in an action of contract, negligence or other tortious action, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Content or performance of Mondaq’s Services.


Mondaq may alter or amend these Terms by amending them on the Website. By continuing to Use the Services and/or the Website after such amendment, you will be deemed to have accepted any amendment to these Terms.

These Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales to settle any dispute which may arise out of or in connection with these Terms. If you live outside the United Kingdom, English law shall apply only to the extent that English law shall not deprive you of any legal protection accorded in accordance with the law of the place where you are habitually resident ("Local Law"). In the event English law deprives you of any legal protection which is accorded to you under Local Law, then these terms shall be governed by Local Law and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts where you are habitually resident.

You may print and keep a copy of these Terms, which form the entire agreement between you and Mondaq and supersede any other communications or advertising in respect of the Service and/or the Website.

No delay in exercising or non-exercise by you and/or Mondaq of any of its rights under or in connection with these Terms shall operate as a waiver or release of each of your or Mondaq’s right. Rather, any such waiver or release must be specifically granted in writing signed by the party granting it.

If any part of these Terms is held unenforceable, that part shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to give effect to the intent of the parties, and the Terms shall continue in full force and effect.

Mondaq shall not incur any liability to you on account of any loss or damage resulting from any delay or failure to perform all or any part of these Terms if such delay or failure is caused, in whole or in part, by events, occurrences, or causes beyond the control of Mondaq. Such events, occurrences or causes will include, without limitation, acts of God, strikes, lockouts, server and network failure, riots, acts of war, earthquakes, fire and explosions.

By clicking Register you state you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions